Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Anything but that!

I was feeling terribly bored for most of last week. Just the routine - the usual assignments, meetings, the hoolah about job strategies, H1-B, why Duke MEM is such a horrible course and accusing a couple of so called 'marketers' for tricking them into taking an admission (and pay 15 lakhs!! - Silly fellows!! No doubt they got tricked...)

Anyway, now that the frustration is out, I am trying to stay aloof from all these people and their discussions for some time... This meaningless chatter is really draining me out! I remember the interesting and fun discussions I used to have with my friend circle in Mumbai. Whether it was discussing movies & masti with the barasingha, vedanta with Arvind, leadership and management with Seshu or some impossible (for me :) ) math problem with Deepan - they were intelectually challenging. It stimulated my brain and kept me fresh, energetic and asking for more!

I am either not engaging with the right kind of people here (thanks to my introvert, asocial being!) or I am a weird misfit here!!

My brain seemed to have started rusting. I was getting more and more frustrated by the day. I had to do something about this... I immediately went to the nearest library, picked up a couple of interesting books on perspective and business strategy! That will keep me going for a while.

Also, I am consciously engaging myself in some of these things I 'love' to do and am 'passionate' about.

Music: I listen to lot more music these days and believe it or not, I am learning a few songs too :) Maybe I'l record a few on karaoke and upload here (who needs a headache? :) )

Art: I used to sketch and paint a lot previously. I have done some craft work too. I realized how much I was missing by not running a piece of charcoal on paper during a recent MEM seminar. It was a now-routine 'required' seminar without any concrete topic or direction. I lost interest within the first 15 minutes of it. I started sketching something on the back of my notebook and at the end of the hour was a pretty neat landscape. I have now decided to do a little bit of art sometimes.

Photography: I was always fond of photography. And, I have always wanted a good camera. Just this week I was considering whether to buy a digital camera this black friday (Thankgiving weekend shopping at huuuge discounts). I might not buy one, but I have been borrowing some of my good friends' cameras to click pictures. Just today, on my walk back home with my friend Jean, I clicked pictures of whatever is remaining of this Fall season. I have a hunch that some of them have come out pretty well. I will post these pictures too once Jean sends them over to me.

Movies: It is my latest craze! Especially Tamil and Telugu movies. Unlike what I thought before, I do like and am able to relate well with Telugu movies. Previously, I used to find most Telugu movies cheap and embarrassing to watch. But I was wrong. I have a strong Andhra brought up and connection even though I have never stayed or studied in my 'home state'. So, I catch a good movie quite often these days. And believe it or not, I am more up-to-date about Tollywood (Telugu Film Industry) than my folks back home. I give them movie suggestions too.

Language: And from all this "I have re-discovered my cultural roots" thingy stems the new found interest in my mother tongue. I am learning to read and write faster and better. It is so much fun!! I hope to write my mom a letter in Telugu one day :)

Reading: I read a lot more than now-a-days. Totally lost interest from Novels. But, I read company success stories, business & management books, business magazines, etc. Call me a nerd if you wish, but it is really exciting to read how Google tactfully managed VC investments during its early days, how BCG's perspectives changed the world of business strategy and how 3M transformed from a mining company to one of innovation and creativity.

Now that is a handful, isn't it?

PS: Did I mention that my exams are beginning next week? I guess I should add studying to the list too :P

5 comments:

  1. Best of luck for the exams! What happened to that Bay Area visit you had been talking about? Do come. Maybe then you can turn the tables on me and discuss some (seemingly impossible to understand for me) business stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deepan. I am still considering the plan. I might take up a winter term course this December so that I have lesser workload during the spring 1 term to search for an internship.

    I will let you guys know of my plan very soon.

    Thanks for reading the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's heartening to see a blog post that reads like nothing less than a personal renaissance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. too late to realise that u hav re-started blogging..dunno wether whatever u have stated here is good or bad for u..given that you hav found things to replace our company :(..but then involved in much more creative activities..:)..i wonder if you would have ever tried to learn telugu if u were in india..btw, do take some time off to spend with friends..even those people have the right to get bored by your long chats joking, haan..

    ReplyDelete
  5. and hey..one more Google fan found!!!

    ReplyDelete